Saturday 23 March 2013

Which is Which?

This time, I decided to consider a cheesecake bought from the shop.  How the texture, taste and appearance compared to that of a homemade cheesecake.  And this got me thinking.  As well as comparing it to a homemade cheesecake, I could use two of the same cheesecakes from different price ranges and see how they compare to each other.  So I am going to be exploring what really is the difference between supermarket value food, and finest.  I chose two from Tesco.  Both the same flavour and both titled "New York Cheesecake" , but priced and packaged very differently.  But first, I had to find some willing victims.  I persuaded ten people, friends and family, to tell me which cheesecake they preferred in taste, texture, and also the packaging.  













Everyone agreed that the Tesco finest cheesecake was more appealing in terms of packaging.  Their views considered the colours, and how most thought the bright blue of the Tesco value cheesecake was too bold and brash and looked a little cheap, especially considering it had the price of £2 displayed very clearly on the front.  They preferred the more sophisticated look of the Tesco finest cheesecake, and I have to agree.
When I took them out of the boxes, I was immediately swayed towards the finest cheesecake as it was definitely visually more appealing.
When it came to tasting however, I decided to have a little bit of fun.  Seeing as everyone preferred the packaging of the finest cheesecake, in my mind I thought people might be a little biased knowing which was the cheaper cheesecake in their tasting decisions.  So I blindfolded them!  And as you can see below, mum was looking a little bit worried......



Whilst all this was going on, mum reminded me of a game we used to play when i was younger.  We used to have to close our eyes and mum would put something in our hand to eat, and we would have to guess from the feel and flavour what it was and there was always so sort of prize at the end of this.  It also reminded me of one night when me and my friends had a few too many cocktails on a night out and were all craving something sweet! So we walked to the local Tesco's and bought ourselves a cheesecake to share, and we went for the Tesco value one.  We took it into the middle of town, sat on a bridge overlooking the river and finished off our night quite nicely with a nibble of cheesecake!
Once I had blindfolded my eager volunteers, I allowed them two bites of one cheesecake, followed by some water and then two bites of the next.  Switching which cheesecake I gave first each time so no one was sure which was which.  And overall the results were quite surprising.  The majority vote was for the value cheesecake!  Most people described the finest cheesecake as far too sweet, to the point where they didn't think they could finish a whole slice if it were given to them.  So although the appearance of the finest cheesecake was far more appealing than the value cheesecake, it seems that looks aren't everything.  Which I discovered myself with the chocolate orange recipe I tried.  Although the cheesecake looked wonderful, the cheesecake did not live up to expectations.

Can you guess which is which?




















No comments:

Post a Comment